#accuquiltgo · #aurifil · #aurifilthread · #bernina · #doyoueq · #Iloveislandbatik · #IslandBatik · #schmetzneedles · Uncategorized

One Die Wonder with Accuquilt Project

What a month this has been!  People quarantined in their homes with the people they love (hopefully).  My husband and I have been joking “It’s a good thing I like you.”  Not too much has changed for us though.  My husband works from home, and I’m a quilter.  If I was locked in my home for a year, I couldn’t use all my fabric or finish my wish list of quilts.  I hope and pray all is well in your world.  We will get through this.

One Die WonderThis months  Island Batik   Ambassador challenge is using our AccuQuilt Go Cutter and a Block on Board Die.  The AccuQuilt BOB Dies include all of the shapes you need to create a quilt block on a single die. The shapes are clearly labeled “A B C D” with directions for precutting your fabric to place over the shapes.

IMG_2336
The block I was given was the  Glorious Nine Patch, not a block I would want to attempt without the AccuQuilt cutter. It was wonderful to have all those curves cut precisely  with dog ears,  notches, and accurate 1/4″ seams for easy piecing.  Also, you can layer up to 6 layers of fabric allowing you to cut more than one block at a time.  What a time saver!

 

I chose the Island Batik’s solid black basic with four colors of the foundation fabrics (Marble-Aqua, Dandelion-Wisteria, Foulard-Apple, and Foulard-Waterfall).  I loved the dramatic look the black brought to the quilt with the contrasting bright colors. I used only two colors instead of the three recommended:  I lost a little of the block look, but I liked the effect.
IMG_2210

 

Construction was fairly easy; you still had bias edges to deal with, but with a lot of pinning it came together well.

 

I designed the quilt using EQ8 and my design wall.  I extended the borders to complete the feather design; the quilt ended up 62″ square and used all four yards of black batik I was given.  I used the brights and pieced together the binding.IMG_2286

The quilting was also fun for this block.  I used Aurifil #4241 on the black, which gave just enough contrast to show the quilting.  I also used Aurifil #5005, #2520 and #1231 in the blocks.

IMG_2315

The weather has been perfect for eating out on the deck and for pictures.  Although I missed my great photographer (my son David), I am proud that he is serving as a deputy sheriff in the midst of this national crisis.  His county recently closed its beaches, so stay off the beaches folks and stay safe!

 

 

IMG_2325

11 thoughts on “One Die Wonder with Accuquilt Project

  1. This is gorgeous! I love the look of the block with two fabrics, and these colors are beautiful together. And the way the curved quilting shows up is fabulous!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s